Wednesday 11 January 2012

The rub

There are many annoying things about being unemployed. The regular trip to the job centre, the form filling and the constant badgering by family and friends ("What is it you're looking for?" "Did you see this in the paper?" "How's the job search going" - "Really, thanks for your concern but it'd be much easier if you just FUCK OFF"). All tremendously irksome, but surely one of the most annoying aspects is showing enthusiasm for jobs one does not want.

I only have two modes - angry and dead. Having to try and pretend that I really want a career in retail (which I don't) or that I'm the only person good capable of doing it (which I'm not) goes beyond galling - it's downright confusing.

I've done enough recruitment to know that most entry-level roles can be done by most people. As long as your spelling's not too bad, your maths is acceptable and you're not a major-league asshole, it's largely a piece of piss. If only the rest of the world understood that.